With the central aim of increasing Deaf youth participation in the promotion of the rights of People with Disabilities in three districts of Muhanga, Nyanza and Kigali in Rwanda, RNUD organized a three day TOT for Deaf youth selected from those districts namely; Muhanga and Nyanza in Southern Province and from Kigali given that there are 3 districts within Kigali Gasabo, Kicukiro and Nyarugenge and Deaf youth committee members. This training is part of a series of activities for this project of accelerating Deaf youth’s participation in Disability-Rights awareness promotion aimed to reach out to over 200 Deaf youth over a period of one year. RNUD is implementing this project in partnership with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Rwanda Governance Board (RGB). The training was held at BEL ANGLE HOTEL- KIMIRONKO from 23rd to 25th January 2015.
The workshop was officially opened by Mr Samuel Munana, the RNUD Executive Director who applauded all the participants for accepting to attend the workshop all the way from their respective districts. He further requested all the participants to actively participate and feel free to ask questions regarding the training as the trainer is available to answer them. He lastly wished well participants throughout the training.
EXPECTATIONS FROM PARTICIPANTS
- To get more knowledge, skills and information on human rights.
- To get information on UNCRPD
- To know more methods of teaching Deaf young people human rights and health issues.
- To understand the challenges that Deaf young people go through as they grow up and the required skills to overcome such challenges
- To share and learn from one another experiences
- To make friends and linkages with other participants
The Training workshop was meant to:
- Equip Deaf youth with human rights information with specific focus on PWD rights and responsibilities
- Enable participants understand the importance of human rights and responsibilities for Deaf youth
- Address individual and societal attitudes, values and belief systems that negatively affect dialogue on rights for PWDs
A facilitator leading one of the sessions during the training
The the topics covered were basic overview of human rights with special focus on PWDs, UNCRPD, Stress Management, Advocacy and Lobbying.
Group work was one of the methods that were used throughout the training
- The objectives of the workshop were achieved in that all the scheduled sessions were conducted. Relatedly participant’s expectations were also achieved basing on the results of the end of workshop evaluation. This was because participants were punctual throughout the whole training.
- Participants actively engaged in group work and were also able to share their experiences in plenary. This helped facilitators to check for understanding of topics presented and the key issues around Human Rights for Deaf people and responsibilities.
One of the Deaf participants presenting group work
The closing ceremony was presided over by Mr. Bizimana Damascene, the representative of the Youth on the RNUD Board on behalf of the Board Chairman. He thanked participants for having accepted to join hands with RNUD in targeting Deaf youth with Human Rights information and called upon all participants to go back and share the knowledge acquired. He also thanked the facilitators Julius for the job well done including the Sign Language Interpreters. The workshop was closed at 3:00 pm on 25th January 2015.